About Me

My photo
Mum to two small things. Kitchen dancer. List maker. Known to be partial to Gincidents. Advocate of winesday. Often found spinning or on a Pilates mat (not spinning). Believer that the moments make the memories.

Thursday 8 March 2012

Out of the mouth of babes...

Out of the mouth of babes...

My nearly 10 year old is studying World War II at school. 


History is a subject that she loves - and one she feels she can do as she doesn't have to battle with her literacy and numeracy demons.


This morning as we are battling to get out onto the school run, she told me that my Granddad was a barber in the war. I disputed this thinking my Granddad has a more significant role (not that cutting hair isn't important) and so text mum to clarify Granddad's role. 
Mum text back:
'I told her when they were in the desert in the war, he used to cut his mate's hair. He was actually a radio operator on the airfields.'



Now I have stopped laughing, I can't help think about how little ones consume information. They take in what interests them and discard the rest. Maybe this is why my nearly ten year old has struggled with literacy. Let's face Biff, Chip and Wilma don't lead exciting lives.

1 comment:

  1. Biff, Chip et al are the bane of my life. No wonder Pickle is completely switched off. Those books are B-O-R-I-N-G *said in petulant puerile manner.

    ReplyDelete